Tuesday, February 6, 2007

ELMO... our new best friend!




I have to start by saying that we blame this all on Dane! He brought Elmo into our home with a video on his laptop and there is no going back!

Ella loves Elmo. She couldn't pull herself away from the videos. Troy had to copy them onto his computer. Then she started spotting Elmo just about everywhere... on diapers, in stores, on television.

I noticed an ad on TV for "Elmo Makes Music." The live stage show was coming to Kansas City and I knew Ella would really enjoy it. I decided to get tickets, but Troy refused to go. We'd taken her to the circus late last fall, and she had little or no interest. I was certain this would be different. Music, big life-size fuzzy muppet characters, dancing, etc... they'd get her attention.

I was prepared to buy the tickets and take Ella myself when we finally wore Troy down. "I can't let my pregnant wife and baby go down to Kemper Arena alone... so I guess I'll have to go along."

Saturday morning, we got up, got dressed, had breakfast and packed our bag for Elmo's 10:30 performance. As soon as the lights came on and the first character hit the stage... we lost Ella. She was mesmerized! Lights, music, singing life-sized muppets.... she was dancing on Troy's lap, waving at Elmo and all she kept saying was "OOOOOOH!"

45 minutes into the show-- intermission. Ella finally had a chance to catch her breath and take a drink of milk! They bring out hundreds of Elmo balloons, cotton candy, snow cones... if kids will beg you to buy it, they had it-- and it wasn't cheap!! (Luckily we had brought an Elmo doll and Zoe doll from home so Ella was content.) We made it through most of the second act before she even started to wiggle. (photos all show the side of her face, I just couldn't get her attention!!)

Since the show, Ella can't get enough of her Elmo and Zoe dolls. She has to sleep with them every night... one in each arm... that's how she falls asleep. I'm not a fan of the character clothes... but it looks like Elmo is here to stay so I guess we'll all have to get used to him!

No comments: