Tuesday, March 13, 2007

F for failure--- let the panic begin!

There is one thing I hate about being pregnant. Not the aches and pains, not the water retention or weight gain, not even the constant trips to the bathroom. I hate the test for gestational diabetes.

I'm not a big soda drinker. I don't like Kool-Aid. I can't stand sweets for breakfast. Needless to say, the super sweet soda they give you to drink first thing in the morning before this test, makes me sick! I've done it... twice now and I've managed to keep it down and get through the tests. But this time, I failed the test. So, I have to go back and take another, longer test, with more of the sweet, syrupy drink that I hate!

Okay, that part sucks! Now for the real drama. I'm terrified that I'll fail this second more definitive test and they'll decide I have gestational diabetes. I'm in a total panic.

As soon as I failed, I headed for work, logged onto the internet, and started reading everything I could about this. (MISTAKE #1-- too much information is not always a good thing!)
- it's not uncommon to fail the first test, even if you've passed in previous pregnancies
- it can be blamed on something as simple as too many sweets the day before the test or medication
- Most women who do have gestational diabetes don't have any problems

Troy reads this information and his mind is at ease. No problem, it's going to be fine, not a big deal.... (MISTAKE #2-- husbands never think anything is as serious as you do!)

I read more stuff.. .and this is where it gets really scary!!!
- some babies of moms with gestational diabetes are stillborn after 28 weeks
- some moms with gestational diabetes can go on to have diabetes after pregnancy
- some babies of moms with gestational diabetes are more likely to be overweight and have diabetes later in life

and the warning signs:
- frequent urination
- tired or run down
- thirsty

(okay, those are all common for any pregnancy) but there's more:
- large size baby (our boy already measures 2.5 weeks ahead on the growth schedule)
- little weight gain for mom (I gained my first 5 pounds this week. All the weight seems to be going to him)

Now, I'm a basket case!!! I'm convinced that I'll fail test #2--convinced that I'll have gestational diabetes--convinced that something is wrong with this giant baby boy-- convinced that we've got our hopes up and that we'll never be able to bring this baby home, now that even Ella is starting to love him.

Say a prayer for me this Thursday as I take test #2. I'm a nervous wreck. I should request prayers for Troy too... as long as I'm this crazed, he's guaranteed to lose sleep right along with me!

No comments: