Thursday, May 22, 2008

Tanning for the Ages

We were the girls who used lay out on her parents' back deck slathered in baby oil. (or Crisco Oil if we were desperate) The girls who bought a 1 foot, inflatable swimming pool, just big enough to hold out two inflatable air mattresses so we could float on water and get a deeper golden brown. (after we scorched our skin off!) The girls who thought darker was better, and we couldn't wait to get those summer tans. I used to say, stupidly, "we're all gonna die sometime, we'll just be a crispy golden brown." We were young and stupid and if we'd only known then what we know now...

It all changed three years ago for Kimmie and for me too. Who knew a mole that got bigger during pregnancy and didn't get smaller, could change our lives so much? She had skin cancer and our young, irresponsible tanning days were over.

I haven't had a tan since. No sunbathing, no tanning beds. I'm a Nazi with my kids and the sunscreen. I wear sunscreen in my moisturizer every day. So today was special.

We tanned together again, for the first time in years. But this time around, our tanning has grown up a bit. We went together, watched one anothers' kids, and we took turns. Each of us, put on a shower cap, stepped into a booth, and let a machine spray on our first tans of the summer. It's different, but I loved it. I loved that Kimmie and I were able to do it together, that even though she has those nerve-wracking 6 month check-ups, she's cancer free.

If I could go back, I'd have taken better care of my skin, spent less time in the sun, worn more sunscreen, etc... The one thing I wouldn't change is Kimmie. She's crazy and silly and caring and I'm so lucky to have her as my friend.

No comments: