Thursday, June 28, 2007

Moving to the Home Front... Missing Laura already!

It's something Troy and I have talked about since we were dating. What we wanted out of life. Our ultimate goals, etc... Mine was to stay home and be a mommy. Before we were engaged, or married or had kids, we both agreed how much we benefited from having a mom at home, and how we hoped that one of us would be able to be at home with our children. No latch key kids. That was our girl. Sounds simple, but in the 21st century world of 2 salary families, it's not.

My employer has made me an unbelievable offer that will make that goal a reality, starting next week. They asked if I'd like to return to my position, but work from home and avoid sending both children to childcare. The change would mean a pay cut, but it would also eliminate the major expense of two kids in childcare, and most importantly, it would put me at home, to nurture and care for my children. I can take them to the library, play dates, be there when they come home from kindergarten, etc... It's an opportunity that seems too good to be true. Troy and I feel we have to take advantage of this and do our best to make it work.

From the moment the proposal was handed to me, my first concern was what this would mean to Ella and to "her Laura." From the moment we walked into Laura's living room, both Troy and I knew this was a person we felt safe, comfortable, and grateful to leave our child with. Our first instincts were correct. We couldn't have been luckier. Laura and her family have basically adopted Ella as one of their own. Laura, Josh and their 4 kids (Matthew, Mason, Dalton & Hayley) make Ella feel so special and loved every day.

I knew how much Laura meant to Ella when we were in Florida over Christmas. Ella would play with her toy phone at Grandma Robinson's house and call Laura to tell her about what we were doing. She missed her! Two weeks away was apparently too much.

Starting after the 4th of July holiday, both Ella and Alex will be home with mommy, full time. I'm terrified that I'll now be responsible for two little lives, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, etc.. But I'm also thrilled that I'll get to be there with and for my kids.

Laura promises to let me call with questions, and to still be our great friend and adopted mommy. She came into our lives 2 years ago, and she'll stay in our hearts as part of this family, forever!

No comments: