Monday, August 16, 2010

Twas the night before...

Max is coming home tomorrow. That's what the doctor said when I left the hospital this afternoon. I can hardly believe it is true and finally here!

These last 122 days have been excruciating, and scary and long and yet wonderful, because he's been with us. I would take another 122 in the NICU, as long as it meant I get to keep Max with me. That's what Troy and I have said all along. We can endure anything, survive any of it, as long as we don't lose Max, we'll make it through.

People say "I don't know how you do it?" But the bottom line is you have to. You can't stop, you can't give up, you can't surrender because you have this baby who is fighting for his life, and so you have to fight too. You fight to juggle everything, you fight to keep some normalcy for the kids at home, you fight to understand what is happening to your baby and to make sure he's getting the very best care possible every single day, you fight to keep your marriage strong because Lord knows you couldn't survive without one another, you fight and fight and fight until you just don't feel like you can fight anymore.

Finally tonight, I hope we're seeing the end of this fight, or at least a new beginning. Max's battles are not over, but finally, the fight to keep him alive and get him home to us, is coming to an end.

Tomorrow, we go get him, and bring him home, and at last, this party of 5 will be sleeping under one roof!

4 comments:

Mommy P said...

Best News EVER!
Be prepared though. We got there at 8am to be discharged and we didn't get to leave until 3:00PM. I was ready just to grab him and run for the door! I'm sure you are feeling the same way. It is time to get your family together under one roof for sure!

Jennifer Hamblin Robinson said...

That's why we aren't going up until 4. I didn't have a sitter until late in the day, and the nurses actually told us they never do releases until after lunch, and then it takes a couple of hours. So we figure we'll come later and get things wrapped up.

Can't wait!

Unknown said...

how super exciting! i remember when my little men got released yea totally got there at 8am didn't get released til one and all we were waiting on was the discharge exam. Hope you enjoy your first night hope.... cant wait to see pictures of that beautiful little man and your family of 5 all together :-)

Unknown said...

YEAH! I have been working at the state fair. I have been thinking and wondering how he made it through surgery. This is the first chance I have had to log into the internet, and am SMILING! I am sure not as much as you were SMILING!
John Stone
Colonial