Saturday, September 4, 2010

After hours calls

Okay, so I'm staring to feel like the crazy lady. I've had to call Max's pediatrician twice since we brought him home. Both times, it was something that seems kinda silly, and I probably would not have called with the other two kids, but with Max, it's just, well different.

First was last week, Max wasn't pooping. It had been more than 2 days. Well, we've been through this before. Ella once went more than a week, we changed formula, used Karo syrup in her bottles, and eventually, had to use slices of a suppository to help her out. It's just part of being a baby, learning to push that poop out.

But with Max, you can't just put something in there to help and you can't change his formula because of the bone issues and you can't give him anything extra by mouth, because of his bowel sensitivity... so we decided to call.

The pediatrician was very kind and said yes, we should call on this, even after hours, because Max's bowels are not typical. He did poop, but it took 3 days and we did resort to Karo with the doctor's okay.

Tonight, it was his head that had me worried. His soft spot was like a big divot on his head! He is losing his hair, so it's pretty visible, and for whatever reason tonight, that "soft spot" was really sunken in. I called the ask a nurse line first and went through everything, how much he's eaten, how many wet diapers, yes his mouth has saliva, yes he can make tears, no he's not lethargic, no fever, etc... but they told me to have the doctor paged, so again, I make the embarrassing call.

I feel like a first time mommy when I do this. I know a sunken "soft spot" can be a sign of dehydration, I know the other symptoms, I know he seems fine, but Max makes you second guess everything.

Luckily, she was fine with this one as well, and I've thrown in a couple of extra little bottles tonight to make myself feel better, and yep, it's not sunken in any more.

Just call me the crazy lady!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do the same thing with one of my twins they were 9 weeks early and mason he's like a normal baby to me ur was just born early but Jeremiah he's got all the problems and every little thing hmm should I call they were ok with my oldest but he's different somehow ... hope everyone is doing.good ..