Friday, July 9, 2010

Sharing the Love

Max and Mommy were both so glad to see our friend Nicole today. She is the wonderful, former NICU mommy, who was gracious enough to donate her breast milk after the loss of her twin daughters.

Troy and I were so touched by Nicole and her husband and their caring and compassionate spirits, that we wanted to get to know them. We also wanted them to know that they will always have a connection to Max.

Nicole was a special first for us today. She was the first person, other than Mommy and Daddy to hold Max. It's something that means so much to me, because after all, part of her, is part of what's helping him survive and thrive, every single day.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to let friends, grandparents, or anyone hold him and not be nervous or afraid. But when I handed him over to Nicole, I never even thought about it. There wasn't a second of doubt. She's a Mommy, specifically, a NICU Mommy. She has known the same fears that I feel. She has longed to hold a baby that was untouchable. She has loved a child with wires and tubes and a body that just doesn't look like the baby anyone dreams of or expects. She has cradled and kissed and caressed a fragile, tiny, preemie, just like my Max.

Max was precious and adorable! He was bright-eyed and attentive. He stared and smiled. (and burped, unfortunately) He was so comfortable! He must know that Mommy touch? Someday, he'll know all about Lilli and her mommy, Nicole. He'll know how her selflessness helped him so much! He seemed right at home on her shoulder, and it was a wonder to watch. I hope she enjoyed it as much as I loved watching the two of them together.

1 comment:

taralynn819 said...

My husband sent me a link to your and Nicole's story on Parentcentral.ca and I stumbled on your blog. I exclusively pumped for my son for a few months so he thought I might be interested to read.

Max is SO precious! God bless your family!