Sunday, March 23, 2008

A little help from my friends, and my job.

I always knew God had a plan. I rarely know or understand that plan, but that's why we call it faith. So when I decided to leave TV and enjoy my family, I had no idea my new position would be such a great fit, and so important to my life choices down the road.

I know I've blogged about this before, but it's never been more important than it is to me now. Since we learned of my brain tumors, I can't even express how grateful I am for every single moment with my children. Even when they're screaming or snotty, or smearing blackberries all over my kitchen. I treasure my time with them.

We're over the initial shock of the "brain tumors" diagnosis. I've started to come to grips with the fact I'm not going to die tomorrow, unless I'm hit by a bus or something. The tumors are not likely to kill me. But, there is always that underlying thought of my mortality. It truly makes me realize that leaving TV is never going to be a decision I regret. Having this quality time with my children, being here for all the "firsts" is irreplaceable. So thanks #1 is for the flexibility my job allows to spend the time I need with my family.

Thanks #2 is for the fact that I work with an amazing staff of professionals. I can literally call up a co-worker and ask "Who do you know at Mayo? I need to see a neurosurgeon." and in minutes I have names of the very best. That's reassuring when you're searching for answers to help make one of the biggest decisions of your life! Lorrie never even skipped a beat. She was on the phone, sending emails and finding what I needed to make my life a little more directional at that point. Thank goodness for her calm, level-headedness when I so desperately needed to know I could find help! She's a brilliant mind, a great resources and a kind and caring friend when I'm at my most vulnerable. I'm so grateful for that.

Thanks #3 is for all the friends I've made through my new job. Tara is my working mommy counterpart and so much more. We have toddlers (Colin and Ella) and babies (Delaney and Alex who were born just 6 days apart) plus working husbands, etc... so we're kindred spirits. We've both faced the challenges of balancing work and family and it's only gotten crazier since we added baby #2 to each family. I can call her anytime (and vice versa) to ask about puking, or a rash, or "listen to this cough" or "can we got out for a drink with no kids tonight?!" She's so supportive of me both in the workplace and on a personal level. So, in case I haven't told you recently my friend, I'm so grateful for knowing that you've got my back.

Those friends are not only the people I work with, but the families I serve. Karen was the first person I asked about brain surgery. She explained what it involves, how you recover, the head shaving, the scar, covering it all with hairbands, scarves, etc... I needed some frank answers and she had them.

And then there's Julia, the mommy who can get anything done! She doesn't take "NO" for an answer when it comes to the health and care of her two children who suffer from a life-threatening disease. I should have known she'd have more information about working around my insurance than I do. When we found out I couldn't go to Mayo, unless we pay out of pocket, Julia immediately had more information. Now I know how to price shop, what to tell them about the fact that I'm paying myself, etc... Who knew you could negotiate for cheaper medical care? But apparently, that' s how it works when you want 2nd, 3rd or 4th opinions. I can't thank you enough for helping me to navigate the health care system.

I just know a little more every day how this job change and choice must have been part of God's plan for me. I would never have met any of these wonderful people, made these amazing connections, or spent this special time with my family if I hadn't asked for God's guidance, listened to his will, and followed his plan. That's all I'm saying... you fill in the blanks for yourself. They could be life-altering for you too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I can't share my experience, then it was all for nothing.

Call or email me anytime. You know I'm keeping your momma-working at hom schedule.

Love and hugs,
j