Friday, March 14, 2008

When Doctors Collide!

Okay, so you think a second opinion will give you piece of mind. But then you get two completely different opinions, and who are you supposed to trust?

Neurologist #2 says no problem with the Depo Provera shots to help control the ovarian cysts. He's not convinced that I've had a mini stroke. That's what we thought, but why is neurologist #1 so convinced that the shot is a bad idea? Am I putting myself at risk? Everything I read on this says I should if I've had a stroke. But who knows if I did or didn't? We may never get the answer to that one.

Neuro #2 also wants to put me on a preventative medication and stop the medicines to help with the pain of these excruciating headaches. Makes sense, but the pain meds in a preemptive mode are actually starting to work. These aren't narcotics mind you. Most of them are anti-inflammatory or vaso-constrictors, so they open up my blood vessels to get things moving and that stops the migraine.

Top it all off with the fact that now I"m worried that I"m starting to see some neurological effects. Maybe it's just my imagination from all the stress, but I can't seem to speak clearly lately. I know everyone stumbles over their words from time to time, but I used to read copy aloud, on live TV and make living doing it. I've always been a clear, concise speaker. At least I think I have. Suddenly I find myself getting tongue tied by Ella's bedtime stories, or phone conversations. Maybe it's that so many thoughts are suddenly running through my head. Who knows.

Maybe I'll mention it at my next appointment which could be in April with Neuro #2 if we stick with him or in July with the neurosurgeon, unless we switch to Mayo, or whenever with Neuro #1, because I don't have a follow up scheduled with them at this point. And so the fun continues.

No comments: