Thursday, April 10, 2008

In His Word(s)...


Alex is not the strong silent type, more the "I'll scream until you put that bottle in my mouth" kinda' kid. It really drives Troy nuts. I think he's an angel and he is pretty easy going. But when that kid is hungry and you don't have the food on his tray or the bottle in his mouth, get earplugs. If he's has something to say, he says it, loudly and you may not understand what he says, but you understand exactly what he wants you to.

Anyway, back to the point of my post. Alex has always been noisy, Much more so than his sister ever was. He coos and goos and started really babbling a month or two ago. I think the kid even purrs when he's happy. He has this weird little gurgle that he uses when he's smiling at me while I change his clothes and tickle his little tummy or nuzzle his neck. It's literally the sound of happiness! At least it was until today, when I finally heard my baby boy say a word! His first!

I read on one of those stupid baby website newsletters for "My 11 month old this week" that he should be babbling and saying words at this point. We have the babble down, but no words. Not Mama or Da or anything. Ella's first word was DaDa (which I assume was Daddy or Doggie), so I had high hopes for my boy. I've been working with him on MaMa and I could swear I hear him scream it some of the time when he's awake and desperate to be lifted out of the crib, but he makes lots of sounds when he's mad, so he could just be swearing in baby talk and I'd never know.

Today was different. He said it and recognized exactly what he was talking about. He said it again and again and again, until he got what he wanted. It wasn't DaDa, or Baba and no, it wasn't MaMa either, but that's okay. Alex's first word was Ella. He said it first and it sounded more like "Eh-yah." I heard it and turned to see that she'd walked out of the room where they were playing together. I asked if he wanted Ella to come back and he said it again. "Eh-yah." Then he said it 3 or 4 times right in a row, and you should have seen how hard he worked to move his mouth and lips into different shapes, trying to make just the right sound. It was precious!

Ella, after all is one of my favorite words in the whole world. I can't think of a better choice for the first word to come out of her little brother's mouth. (Ella's quite proud too! She thinks it's pretty special that he chose her name out of all the words he could have used.)

No comments: