Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Big Girl Preschool

We've talked about it for months, contemplated changing locations (if I had to go back to work full-time) worried whether she'd be potty trained, and then the big day finally came.

Ella was headed for preschool, with her Hello Kitty backpack and her first best friend, Sophie. These two have been counting the days, and I think it was worth the wait for all of us. Sophie is my friend Kimmie's youngest little girl. Kim and I met in Springfield, back in the early days of our TV news careers. Who would have guessed that our girls would hook up for their first classroom experience.

I nearly died the night before their "meet the teacher" event, when we were laying out Ella's clothes and she asked "what will Sophie be wearing?" I had to call Kim and we all laughed out loud. I think Gavin's words were something like "and so it begins..."

Regardless, these two girls really look forward to seeing one another those 3 afternoons a week, they hug in the parking lot, they hold hands, they're buddies, and it warms my heart. They've already started making new friends in the class, and they'll shout to their new pals at pickup as we head home. It's so much fun to peek in the window and watch them playing or working and just having so much fun! I can't believe this is our little girl, so grown-up, already.

The biggest adjustment is napping, Ella loves to sleep, as I'm posting right now, she's in hour 3 of her afternoon nap. This not a preschool day. She'd adjusting, she falls asleep in the car on the drive home a lot, but the cat nap is usually enough to get her by. Alex is also nap deprived. He conks out after we drop her off and I carry him up to bed. He has about an hour and half max to sleep before I wake him up to go get her, so he's a bit shell-shocked. But they're both going to be earlier on those nights, and so far, it works.



They've already let us know the schedule will change for next year, so we'll adjust again. In the meantime, Ella loves her class, her teachers, Mrs. Craddick and Mrs. O'Donnell and all that comes with being a preschooler. Isn't she adorable!?

No comments: