Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brain Tumor Update

All positive news today at my follow-up visit to the neurosurgeon.

The "tumor" or "brain abnormality" as he likes to call it has no noticeable growth since the first MRI back in February. (8 months ago) We'll wait a year and go back for another MRI to see if it grows at all in that amount of time. If it is in fact a tumor, it's slow-growing, that means we have lots of time to decide what to do about it. I could be just bone or calcification between the two lobes of my brain which won't cause any additional problems.

The only way to know for sure what it is--is to cut in there and take it out. The doc says he wouldn't do that surgery on himself right now, with the relatively small minor problem of migraines. So we wait and watch.

He doesn't expect to see anything, anytime soon. He says if this is the worst that happens to me in my life, I'd been pretty lucky with my "worst" thing.

He did say he's seen meningioma tumors stay the same size for 10 or 20 years, and then grow, but if that happens, we're watching it, and we'll take care of it when the time comes.

He says if we want to have another baby, he certainly wouldn't base the decision on this. We asked because hormone levels can cause meningiomas to grow more quickly. But, he says even if mine doubled in size, it would still be small enough for him to "take care of it." (No we haven't decided to try for #3. But we're considering that, or the "snip snip" for Troy in the next year. So you gotta ask!)

He also says he didn't see the "lacunar infarct" which is the indication that I might have had a mini stroke. That showed up supposedly on the first MRI in February. His take is that it was just a blip, and I likely didn't suffer stroke. He can't say 100%, but you get the picture. I'm going to call my neurologist to make sure he didn't notice anything either, just to be sure before I go back on the pill.

Perhaps the best news, he says I am NOT I repeat NOT diagnosed with a brain tumor. "He's evaluating a brain abnormality, which showed up on MRI. But he cannot diagnose it at this time." That's a big deal for health or life insurance! It means we can get more life insurance and I might also be able to get my own health insurance, without relying on a group policy. That gives us some options to meet the needs of our growing family.

All in all a great day! Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers, and kind words these last few months. We feel good about this, and we're so happy to stop worrying for awhile. If something changes, I'll let you all know, but barring any major changes, it should be year before any new news on this front! YEAAAH!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well this update does not suck.

Brain abnormality...