Wednesday, May 26, 2010

YIPPEE Some good news!

Today was a GREAT DAY!

Max saw the ophthalmologist for a second time. (his first exam was 2 weeks ago) At the first visit, the doctor said Max's eyes were very immature so he's need to examine again. Today, he told us the blood vessels in Max's eyes look like they are developing well and he does not think vision will be a problem. I can't tell you how great it was to think we might be able to mark at least once concern off the list.

Max's respiratory care is finally getting back under control. He had 2 great blood gasses. and he was de-satting much less. The doctor has now ordered daily doses of Lasix to keep the fluid off his body, specifically his lungs. I've been asking about this for more than a week, and now the doctor thinks it does seem to work for Max. I hope it will give him some relief and help him to breathe easier.

Most importantly today, we had some great time to connect and snuggle. We spent 3 hours doing kangaroo care. (Max up against mommy skin to skin) He slept and cuddled and clung to me and just was so peaceful. The nurse said she wished I could be there all the time, because his heart and lungs responded so well to our time together.

After our snuggle time, he's usually wiped out, but today, he was alert for the first time in 4 days. He stared at me for an hour, held my fingers and pulled them to his mouth and wouldn't let go. Since last Friday, he's been so sleepy, lethargic and just not himself while battling this infection and trying so hard to breathe.

I have my best sleep when he's on my chest. There is just something about knowing that he's right there, safe and warm and in my arms that finally allows me to rest. Today was a WONDERFUL break. I felt like he was loving me and needing me and finding comfort in his mommy, just as much as I find in him.

No comments: