Friday, June 18, 2010

Scrub a dub

Tonight turned out to be something special in the NICU, as I was able to help with Max's bath for the first time. I just haven't been able to time it to be there on a night when he was getting his bath. It's usually every 3 nights, but sometimes their body temp, procedures, etc... will change that schedule. Plus I'm usually home getting Ella and Alex to bed. But today, Alex was still running a fever, so I stayed home until Troy could get here after work.

When I showed up, Max was snoozing. I was able to hold him for about an hour and a half and he really snuggled right up to me. Then the nurse mentioned that he was scheduled for a bath, so I jumped at the chance to stay and help. He gets a sponge bath, since he's still on the CPAP, has a healing incision, ostomy bag, etc...

At first, I wasn't really sure how to do it, he was freezing and I was worried about keeping him warm, but once I grabbed that warm, sudsy washcloth, he seemed okay with mommy rubbing him down. I washed his head and face last, so he could be off the CPAP for a bit. He was all snuggled up in a couple of bath towels and his head was all bubbled with shampoo and he just stared at me and held my hands. It was priceless.

No comments: