Thursday, June 3, 2010

Twas the night before surgery...

Max has finished his latest blood transfusion. He's resting comfortably and will have some final blood work and x-rays in the morning.

I went back up for a bit tonight, when they learned his hematocrit (red blood cell count) was lower than they expected. I hate to say I told you so, but I've been saying for 2 days now that he looked a little pale. The doctors only take his blood count every few days, because taking the blood to check everything can lower his blood cell count which is so important. It was 39 the last time they checked, and they anticipated today it would be between 33 and 36. His blood count was 28! Mommy may not be a doctor, but I know my boy and his skin tone!

We had such wonderful snuggle time this morning! He grabbed onto the side of my neck and just snoozed for a couple of hours. It's truly the most wonderful time of my day, and so weird do only be doing it for a few hours a day at the most. You take holding a newborn for granted, until you can't do it whenever you want. I spent most of that time in tears, thinking how much I enjoy this time, and how I hope to have so many more days and nights with him in my arms, at home, where he should be. It's like everything we did today made me wonder if it would be Max's last. I'm so grateful for every moment with him. I can only imagine that tomorrow will be that much tougher...

Troy and I will be with him all day tomorrow. We plan to be there first thing in the morning so we can spend a couple of hours holding him. It will be at least a couple of days before we'll be able to hold him after surgery. We appreciate all your wonderful thoughts and prayers. Will update as we can tomorrow.

1 comment:

Shawn Sarazin said...

Praying while I breathe for your little man. Praying for his surgery, for his medical team, that their hands are the healing hands of God today.

Praying that you and Troy feel peace and calm through this tumult and that it's sooner that you hold your Max again.