Thursday, March 31, 2011

The bad part... of being such a good baby

Max is really every mother's dream... (well, now he is) He sleeps from 10 pm until 8 am EVERY night, he naps, he eats, he plays, he's not crabby or fussing or into everything... but there's a drawback to all this goodness.

Max doesn't seem to have much motivation. He's curious when you put something in front of him. He'll pick up a board book and fiddle with the pages, he'll stick things in his mouth, but he doesn't have much motivation to explore the rest of the world around him. We've put him on a playmat, in the jumpy swing, in a saucer, and now sitting on the floor or even all fours. He plays with the toys within his reach... he goes CRAZY with them some of the time... but he never fusses when they're gone or tries to get them back, or goes after them. If he rolls over from his sitting position, he doesn't cry or struggle or try to get back up. He just lays there and looks at the toy that he can no longer reach. The most effort we see is frantic kicking of the legs... that's usually how I know something is going on. I hear the "thump, thump, thump..." and I know Max is awake, or that he's fallen over.

His crib mattress is still on the highest level... where a newborn sleeps. Yes he can sit up. But no, he won't do it on his own. He doesn't try to grab at the bumper and get out, he just lays there, looking at an occasional toy and snuggling or chewing on it, and waiting.... for someone to come get him. He'll cry out if his pants are poopy sometimes... or if he's really hungry sometimes... but for the most part, he just lays and waits and is content.

Today, with his physical therapist, we started putting Max on all fours. Now that he's mastered sitting, and is starting to stand and kneel beside a table or other piece of furniture, we're working to get him crawling. Problem is, he's just not interested in moving. He'll sit there on his hands and knees, looking at a toy, even the ones he really like, but he won't go after them. He doesn't fuss or cry because he can't get to them, he just looks and waits.

I have NO IDEA where he gets his patience. I have none, neither does Troy. I love that he is such a good baby. I love that he is easy going, and a fantastic teether and a good sleeper and just a general joy to be around... but I wish he'd push and stretch and reach and grab to get things. I wish he'd start pulling up so we'd have to lower his mattress, I wish he'd want something, or someone so much, that he'd find the motivation to move. I hope it's just that his body isn't ready... but I also hope that it's not a sign that he may not move the way a normal child does. I hope that someday, I'll see him crawl and walk and run and play, just like every other child. I just hope....

No comments: