Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanks by the Letters: Q

Quiet:

Which I had absolutely none of today... we had 14 new windows installed, there was sawing, prying, hammering, drilling, freezing, screaming, arguing, swearing, etc...

It's days like today, when I miss the quiet. Max had some quiet time. I closed his door, turned on his music, and he snoozed, barely able to hear the sounds of all the chaos downstairs. He can still do that. He's used to sleeping with a lot going on around him... but I miss those quiet days in the NICU. People there, they think it's noisy, because of monitors beeping, oxygen pumping, air flowing, alarms going off, etc... but actually, it's quiet. It is noisy, but it's quiet, does that make sense??

It's quiet because there is no outside world, no clock, no telephones, no bills to pay or errands to run, no dinner to make, no worries... well, actually there is all that stuff. But during those days in the NICU... I sometimes just forgot about it all. I was so focused on Max and our time together and helping him to grow and heal that I tuned everything else out. It was quiet and relaxing, just to be with him. Just to hold him and be still. I would get in trouble, for holding him and falling asleep with him in my arms. But it was that peace and quiet of holding him, knowing that at that moment he was alive and okay, that I could finally relax.

I miss my quiet now... maybe I should try ear plugs???

No comments: