Monday, November 1, 2010

Thanks by the Letters: A

Arroyo:

It all starts with Dr. Arroyo. What can I say about this most wonderful doctor except that I knew I chose him for a reason and we were both so grateful to have him there for Max's delivery. It was a scary morning, fast labor, sick baby, sick mommy and nothing they could do to stop Max from coming out. Dr. Arroyo has been my OB for years, but he hadn't delivered any of my babies. It was EARLY when I went into labor, around 4:30a.m. and by 6:30 Max was almost out. They were rushing to prep me for a c-section to help make delivery less stressful on Max. Dr. Bishop (another partner in the OB practice) had already told me that Dr. Arroyo had written on my chart that he wanted to be called in for the delivery. "I've called Errick, but I don't know if he'll make it in time, this baby is coming!" I was in pain and scared and honestly, I love all the doctors in this practice. Dr. Bishop had delivered Alex, so I wasn't concerned. They ran me down the hall to the operating room and Dr. Arroyo was there waiting for us, in his scrubs, ready to go. I have never been so happy to see a face. He was calming, comforting, and put me at ease. As soon as Max was out, Troy was gone. He sticks to that baby like glue! But I had another couple of hours on that table. Dr. Arroyo talked to me, told me what was happening. He told me there was an infection in my placenta and that was why Max had to come out early, and so quickly. He told me it wasn't my fault and he told me I'd be okay. I always tell my friends choosing an OB is so important and you need to get to know and like ALL the doctors in a practice. I'm so glad we had Dr. Arroyo with us that morning.

Anesthesia:

For keeping Max sedated, and comfortable, and alive during his 5 surgeries. My most vivid memory of the NICU is seeing Max, on the table before his PDA surgery. He was 2 lbs, naked, sedated and still. The anesthesiologist talked to us about the paralytic drug she had given him, about the risks, and about when he would wake up. That was the single hardest moment of my life. Seeing him like that, so tiny and dying. He was dying right before our eyes. His blood pressure was so low. I couldn't stand the thought that I was walking away from him and he might not be alive when I came back. The anesthesiologist pulled everyone out of the operating room, and gave Troy and I a moment with out son. It was the first time we said good bye to Max. It was so wonderful to come back after surgery to see her smiling face and know that he had done extremely well, considering his small size.

Abel:

Our NICU neighbor Dad and my friend. Abel and Jeremy welcomed their baby boy Marco around the same time as Max. They are from New York, and used a surrogate here in Kansas so this was a long way from home for their family! We became neighbors on Cactus Circle in the NICU once Max was moved back to his second room. Since Max had primary nursing care, Marco usually shared the same nurse and Abel and I were often on the same schedule. So we'd talk over coffee in the parent room between feedings, hop on the computer to update our blogs and Facebook pages, and walk downstairs to grab a quick lunch. I was thrilled when Marco went home, but sad too. Abel was a great friend in the NICU and Max and Marco shared many weeks of care together. We hope to have a great play date in NYC with Marco when Max is a little older.

Addilyn:

You might not have heard this name, but Addilyn and Lillian were Nicole and Shannon's twins. Lillian lived for 10 weeks and shared many similar experiences with Max during her NICU stay. Sweet little Addilyn did not survive. She had a heart defect, and died in utero. This is ultimately what led to Nicole going into labor and delivering Lilly so prematurely. We cannot say thanks for Nicole's gift of breast milk without thinking of both of these remarkable little girls. I know they are with Max, and with us always.

No comments: